Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Message from the Future Mrs. Howard Douglas

Happy Thursday, Ms. Viv ‘Nim Fanatics!

As promised, today’s blog features the recently engaged Jessica Dawn Torres. She’s here to talk about her upcoming wedding, as well as her true feelings about her future husband Howard Allen Douglas.

Hi, Everyone!

Let me start off by saying first of all: Oh my God—I’m getting married!

I’ll forever hold December 17, 2011 close to my heart. Howie and I were on our way to a Christmas party at his brother-in-law’s house… we had already heard the news that Howie’s sister Sarah was pregnant with twins, so it was more like a double celebration. Anyway, Howie picked me up and asked if I would help him with a quick run to the grocery store to get some apple cider. Upon leaving the grocery store, I noticed that Howie seemed a little flustered about something, and when I asked him if anything was wrong, he just shook his head and said that he was okay. And then, he dropped to one knee. I was under the assumption that he was about to fall, so I caught a hold of him quickly.

“Howie, are you okay?” I asked him.

“I’ll be alright,” he said nervously. “I just fell… in love… with you.”

Okay, I blushed a little when he said that, but I did not expect him to pull an engagement ring from out of his pocket and show it to me. One of the jewels in the ring was my birthstone. All of a sudden, I couldn’t breathe, and tears just came cascading down my cheeks as Howie uttered those sweet seven words.

“Jessica Dawn Torres, will you marry me?”

I thought about the time that I was nine years old and I watched the legendary “Macho Man” Randy Savage ask Miss Elizabeth that question, and just like Miss Elizabeth, I looked at Howie and said, “Ooooooooh, Yeahhhhh!”

Howie placed that gorgeous engagement ring on my finger, and then he scooped me up and kissed me. For that very moment, we didn’t care that a mini-crowd had witnessed what had just come to pass. I clearly remember a big dude walking up to Howie and giving him a high-five. An elderly lady squeezed my arm and congratulated me.

Who would have ever thought that a meeting in a grocery store in April 2009 would result in a wedding coming up on Saturday, June 16, 2012? I certainly didn’t think so. I will say this: I am so excited to be Mrs. Howard Douglas… and it’s so apropos that my sister-in-law Sarah got married back in September. Oh, wow—I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment