Monday, March 15, 2010

"Simply Bret" Spotlight: Nicole Yvonne Douglas


In today's blog, I would like to put the spotlight on one of the characters of my upcoming book, Nicole Yvonne Douglas.

Nicole is the youngest child and youngest daughter of Bret and Susan Douglas. Born in Culver City, California, Nikki (as she is often called) is known as the bubbly, energetic firecracker. Bret nicknamed her "Firefly" on account of she illuminated the room when she was born. Nikki is a recent graduate of Tennessee State University, where she received her Bachelors Degree in Education. Much like her great-grandfather, her grandmother, and her father, Nikki's dream is to be a teacher. She has yet to decide if she wants to teach elementary or high school, but she knows that she wants to teach... actually, she would like nothing more than to be her dad's successor and teach Kindergarten-- a passing of the torch, if you will! Nikki is known to show great leadership skills, despite being the youngest, and she does not have a problem with sharing the spotlight, much less stepping out completely in order for someone else to have their moment in the sun. Nikki has also been blessed with four best friends that she has known since Kindergarten-- Anna-Jane Overton, Barbara Louise Zuckerman, Diane Yvette Porterson, and Andrea Michelle Cornette. Together this cute quintet is known as the Chickadees. They received this cute little nickname from their former Kindergarten teacher, the late Clark Kenneth Jones. Nikki admittedly is a big kid at heart; she considers it a compliment when someone refers to her as a "little girl," given the fact that she is 5'1" and she has the sweetest little voice.


NIKKI'S PERSONALITY PROFILE


MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT:
When the Chickadees surprised me at my graduation from TSU.

MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT:
In high school, I referred to my Algebra teacher as Uncle Dave for some reason.

FAVORITE ACTOR:
Bronson Pinchot (Balki from "Perfect Strangers")

FAVORITE ACTRESS:
Tempestt Bledsoe

FAVORITE SINGER:
Babyface

FAVORITE TV SHOW:
Perfect Strangers

FAVORITE MOVIE:
Transformers

FAVORITE ATHLETE:
Derek Fisher

FAVORITE CARTOON:
Darkwing Duck

FAVORITE COLOR:
Purple

FAVORITE FOOD:
Chili Cheese Dogs and Chili Cheese Fries

FAVORITE ICE CREAM:
Orange Sherbet

SECRET TALENT:
I can play the piano.

IN MY FREE TIME, I LIKE TO:
Chill out with my fellow Chickadees.

IF I COULD’VE DONE IT DIFFERENTLY:
I would be at least 5’5”.

MY ROLE MODEL(S) GROWING UP:
My 1st, 4th, and 8th Grade teachers, respectively.

THE BEST ADVICE EVER GIVEN TO ME:
Life is a theatre— choose your audience carefully.

SOMEONE WHO SHARES MY BIRTHDAY:
David Schwimmer and Sammy Sosa.

MY DREAM/GOAL IN LIFE IS TO:
Be my dad’s successor after he retires from teaching.

THREE WORDS TO DESCRIBE ME:
Bubbly, Optimistic, and Ambitious

MY BEST FRIEND (ACE-BOOM-KOOM):
Anna-Jane, Barbara, Diane, & Andrea— the Chickadees, if you will!

MY FAVORITE PLACE TO VISIT:
Atlanta and Minneapolis.

IF I HAD ONE WISH:
I would be a superhero— a gal can dream, can’t she? LOL.

SOMETHING INTERESTING ABOUT ME:
Everyone still thinks that I’m a kid on account of my height and voice. In addition to that, I am a soon-to-be fourth generation teacher in my family.

There you have it, folks-- Miss Nicole Yvonne Douglas.

No comments:

Post a Comment