Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Princess & The Playa, Part Three

Previously on “The Princess and The Playa,” Sarah got a chance to converse with the young man who walked into her office. He introduced himself as Duane Anoai, and it was his last year in grad school. The two young people got to know each other a little bit, and then Duane boldly (but respectfully) asked Sarah out for a lunch date. Sarah accepted, and her heart began to soar above the clouds.

And now, we take you to Part Three of “The Princess and The Playa.”


Sarah was still blushing like crazy. Arnold jokingly said, “Sarah, I sure hope that you’re able to finish all your work today. You’re brighter than the tinsel on a Christmas tree.”

Sarah couldn’t help but to blush. Young Duane had made her day, and it showed. “Arnold, nothing could ruin my day,” she said.

Perhaps she spoke too soon.

Brenda stormed out of her office and walked up to Sarah, as furious as could be. Unwavering in her demeanor, Sarah continued talking to Arnold. Brenda then rudely interrupted Arnold and said, “Sarah, I wanna know what the hell you meant by those comments you made earlier!”

Sarah still continued talking to Arnold.

“Sarah, I know you hear me—I said, what did you m…”

“So anyway, Arnold, I thought I would wear this dress today, just to show my sunny personality.”

Brenda got so frustrated that eventually she turned belligerent. However, Sarah kept her cool and again blatantly ignored Brenda as if she was the measles. Brenda gave up and stormed into Wendell’s office, slamming the door very hard. When Arnold questioned what was wrong with Brenda, Sarah simply said, “I guess Brenda’s still upset that she was picked last in kickball when she was in pre-school.” Arnold laughed, then he wished Sarah well and returned to his office.

No doubt that Sarah was still on Cloud Nine, but she was able to concentrate on her work. When she got a break, she sent a text to Natalie and Melissa about her upcoming lunch date with Duane. Natalie’s response: “Look out, Miss Liz!” Melissa’s response: “Girl, you betta go for it!”

The next day at work was more or less the same, except when Sarah walked in the office at her usual time, she was singing “Baby Baby” by Amy Grant. An hour later, Wendell walked in and asked to speak with her. When Sarah inquired on the reason, all Wendell had to do was say “Brenda,” and Sarah’s mood changed.

“Wendell, I’m in a good mood today, and I don’t want it spoiled.”

“Well, Brenda said that yesterday, you…”

“Wendell, don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t really care what Brenda had to say. I’m gettin’ pretty damn sick and tired of havin’ my integrity questioned for every trivial thing around here. It’s gonna stop, and it’s gonna stop now!”

Wendell walked away and went into his office, as Sarah’s heart started to beat like crazy. All of a sudden, her cellphone buzzed. It was a text message from Duane.

“Hey, Miss Sarah. Hope all is well.”

Sarah’s eyes lit up and her smile returned. She responded: “Hey, Duane. Thanks for checkin’ up on me.”

Duane’s text: “I know a great pizza place that we can go to for lunch tomorrow. Are you down?”

Sarah’s response: “As long as I can escape my professional hell for at least an hour.”

Duane’s reply: “LOL! Hang in there. I’ll stop by your office by noon tomorrow.”

Sarah’s response: “OK, see you then. BTW: You can call me Liz if you like.”

Sarah’s interest began to rise in the brief texting conversation. She soon found herself anticipating the big lunch date. In spite of her excitement, Sarah was still frustrated at her job. She questioned why she was suffering like she was. Wendell had questioned her integrity for the last time, and Brenda was on the right road to a good ass-whuppin’. It seemed like everytime Sarah gave her co-workers the benefit of the doubt, they went and did something else stupid. As far as Sarah was concerned, her lunch date with Duane was her last hope.
TO BE CONTINUED ON FEBRUARY 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment