Monday, April 16, 2012

Celebrating Sylvia E. Douglas

Hey there, Ms. Viv ‘Nim Fanaticals!

Over the weekend, the Ms. Viv ‘Nim family bid a bittersweet farewell to a lovable soul, as Sylvia Esmeralda McKenzie Douglas, a devoted wife, loving mother, and a naturally charming lady, passed away at the age of 85 years old in her hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Friday, April 13, 2012.

“We had just come back home after our afternoon walk in the park,” recalls Roger Douglas, who was Sylvia’s husband of 67 years. “As soon as we walked in the door, Syl told me that she felt tired, and naturally I told her to rest. She said to me, ‘Are you sure?’ And I said, ‘Yes, I’m sure.’ And then, from out of the blue, she gave me a kiss and said, ‘I love you.’”

Roger went on to say that Sylvia went to their bedroom to take a nap, and never woke up. Only after realizing that his loving wife passed away did Roger realize what had actually transpired.

“Actually, she did wake up, but in Glory,” Roger said with a smile. “She was asking me if it was okay for her to go to Heaven, and I basically said yes. My one saving grace is that I know she’s in Heaven with our Lord and Savior. And to think that my last memory of her was our last kiss, and she told me that she loved me. I’m even happier that I reciprocated that same love to her before she left.”

Homegoing services for Sylvia Esmeralda Douglas are scheduled for Friday, April 20, 2012. Details will be forthcoming all this week.

Tomorrow's Blog: Sylvia E. Douglas, 1927-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment